This is the holy grail of the Chicago plates. 1904 was the first year that Chicago issued a full plate. It was made of stamped aluminum. Very few of these plate survive today. And this is Number 1. Doesn't get any rarer than that! Measures 6 7/8" X 11 7/8". In overall VG condition retaining most original black paint. Plate is from the Lee Hartung collection and he had scratched his name and 'Glenview, ILL' on the reverse of the number '1'. See photos . At the turn of the century, Chicago was the center of the fledgling automotive industry with showrooms springing up on South State Street forming the now historic “Automotive Row”. The Chicago Motor Club was formed in 1904, which would in short order grow to become the AAA. The Chicago Auto Show was organized in 1901 and continues to be the largest and longest running auto show in the world. In 1901 Chicago was one of the first cities in the nation to license motor vehicles, first by issuing badges for the motorist to wear and starting in 1903, license “plates” that were meant to be displayed on the vehicle itself. The 1903 plate was actually a set of metal numbers issued by the city that owners had to mount on a piece of leather or wood which would then be hung on the automobile. The 1904 plate was the cities first attempt at a metal plate made from thin stamped aluminum. These aluminum plates were very flimsy and prone to damage so the 1905, 06 & 07 plates were made from a more durable solid brass. Chicago was ordered to discontinue issuing plates in 1907 when the State of Illinois announced that they would be issuing a state plate. Chicago, from that point forward, began issuing a smaller metal vehicle tax tag that was to be displayed next to the Illinois plate. Only a few of the 1904 plates have ever turned up and what makes this one special besides its beautiful, original condition is that it is plate No. 1 and it was issued to Chicagoan Arthur J. Eddy. Arthur Jerome Eddy, a prominent lawyer and early automobile enthusiast in Chicago at the turn of the century, in 1900 became the first person in Chicago to receive a license for a motor vehicle, badge No. 1. Arthur Eddy was a founding member of the Chicago Motor Club in 1902, which would grow to become the AAA Motor Club. He helped organize the Chicago Auto Show in 1901. He was the author of several books on automobiles including, Two Thousand Miles On An Automobile published in 1902. Mr. Eddy was responsible for bringing Modern Art enthusiasm to the Chicago Art Institute and his personal collection was bequeathed as the Arthur J. Eddy Memorial Collection after his untimely death in 1920. He was a friend of the artist James McNeil Whistler whose portrait of Mr. Eddy titled, Arrangement in Flesh Color and Brown, still hangs in the Union League Club of Chicago. His residence was at 5623 N. Sheridan Road.