AuctionZip Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:37 pm
Visit AuctionZip.com for
Live Auctions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:30 pm 

Online prices up 40%-60%? Misconceived perception, at best.
Take a look at ebay and you'll see stuff rolling off the end with no bids.
Whereas, at my live auctions, I sell much of the same stuff and get good prices.

As far as "the future"...
all of the computers were going to crash in 2000
the world was suppose to end in 2012
Obama was going to cure all of our problems
Hamas is a humanitarian organization

When people believe such silliness... the palm readers and psychics will be the richest people in the world, own all of the banks, and run the government.

http://www.t-na.com
281-479-7848

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:21 pm 

I'm not talking Ebay, they are using Auction Zip, Bidopia, Max Net, Proxy Bid.

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:05 pm 

Bob Roberts wrote:
I'm not talking Ebay, they are using Auction Zip, Bidopia, Max Net, Proxy Bid.

Bob

The platform is irrelevant.
You've got people shopping/comparing at other sites while they are bidding on any of the other sites.

While this may also occur to a small degree at a live auction, it is not as prevalent. There are many more of those that are only looking at the particular item in front of them... and bidding, as though there is only one (and there is only one, at that time, that day, that moment) and wanting to take it home.

You just can't beat the human emotion in a live setting.

http://www.t-na.com
281-479-7848

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:06 pm 

James Ford wrote:
By the same token, if you are all fired up about YOUR software, one would typically have a website to show what it does. If you don't have a demo, you could at least have screenshots and descriptions.

Which is why I go one better and just send it to you...when I get an email address...

I feel there is a disconnect here...I offered to zip it up into a file and send anyone a package. And in return no one would send me any money.

Quote:
I also do my research and track my statistics, from my websites to emails to Facebook, etc. My website is still my main draw for keeping my customers informed of my upcoming sales. It also generates new email signups that allow them to be notified when information and photos of my upcoming auctions are posted. I agree that those who "like" your page on FB do not necessarily translate into a customer. However, I am getting new customers (most of which have not clicked the "like" button) coming to my live auctions that found us on FB. On the other hand, craigslist is way down the scale for attracting new customers to our auctions.

Again, another disconnect. A caller, is a different business than a dealer. A caller has exactly zero skin in the game, unless it is your goods you sell week in week out. As a dealer, all the risk resides with me. From acquisition, to verifying provenance, fitness warranty and the mechanics of the sale. An auctioneer can say 'might be fenton' and will nto be in violation of any law. if my tag says 'fenton' it had better be. Especially if I have it online (ever hear of mail fraud?) when you auction off a tube radio, did you verify it worked? plug it in? (A big no no). I restore them to full operation. Properly. My audience is 100% different, as are my methods.
Quote:
You seem to have a lot of misconceptions, regardless of your claim of research and technical ability.

Perhaps, but none have been pointed out to date..

Quote:
By the same token, it appears to carry over to your distrust of auctioneers.

Seriously? You read what has been written to date and came away with THAT?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:08 pm 

Last edited by Thomas Trice on Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:25 pm 

I highly recommend AUCTION RIM - It is developed, supported and sold out of California. Incredibly easy to use, comprehensive in its abilities to manage virtually all auction needs and customer support better than any I've seen. It is not Internet based, so if your Internet connection gets timed out or messed up, you can still proceed with your auction. Credit card processing may be an issue if your Internet is down, but everything else can still proceed normally. I can't imagine ever using another auction software.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:41 pm 

Bob Roberts wrote:
Online Auctions are not a fad, they are here to stay, whether you like them or not. The new bidders and clients like it and expect it. More & More Auction Companies are moving to online for one reason, bigger market and higher prices. Antique stores are struggling and more dealers are getting out, they are living in the past with high prices and items no one wants. The only person making real money in an Antique Mall is the owner of the facility with rent fees and commissions. Dealers tell you they make money, but if they add the hours up, fuel used to drive around buying the items, in reality they break even at best. Most dealers tell me they make no money and they do it to keep busy. We do live Auctions and online. Several Auction companies here have gone online and state they will not go back to live auctions. Regulation is coming. Ebay has suffered because they cater to the buyer, not the seller, it should be the other way around. The buyers that complain in most cases , did not read the Terms and or description and if they did, they ignored it and then complained any how. The next generation of Auction Goers are Tech Savvy and want to do business online (busy life style and way of life). If you do not have your business online, you more and likely will fail in the near future.

Bob

Well, I would have to see the data about these higher prices supposedly seen. Buying is a sensory activity and tiny thumbnail photos don't exactly fill the bill. But you are right about 'malls', I have long said the owner makes more than the dealers BUT, most are in it for 'fun' and the perceived panache of saying 'I am a dealer...' Like I said previously, once they install my selling software they realize they are not making money at it. At the same token, a caller is not that much different from a mall owner. Zero stake in the game, get paid regardless, all costs completely covered by the act of opening for business.

You are right about ebay catering to the seller. Its how they built the market - get what you pay for or you do not pay. It is a different animal to walk into walmart or the walmart website because you will get the item you desire and there are warranties and fitness and online reviews etc. There is NONE of that on ebay. Did you go on EARLY ebay? It is a world different from then, to now and to get there as I said before, ebay had to purchase the payment method and hire a lot of lawyers. they have in effect, created a monopoly and no one else will be able to enter the game. Do not construe what I said as pro-ebay. Take it as a description of the way it is.

And while you correctly imply that e-business is growing (I myself met with the CEO and CTO of ebay a few years back as the organization I was with has tried and continues to try to supply the underlying system) the purpose of ebay and any online 'auction' or antique business is not to buy cheaper and faster what you can get in many places, but rather, buy something you CANNOT get anywhere else. (if 5 gallon Pennzoil Division cans were available at any retailer, they would be worth the cost of the metal scrap and no more ) While it is true that sellers of new goods use an ebay store, the margins are so thin that a living could never be made - it is simply a method to get ANY part of the sale. I on the other hand, when I use ebay, my clearance is in a percentage range most businesses only dream of...and that will be the same for anyone using it successfully - which is why we use it only for targeted items for a targeted audience.

Back to online auctions, I know callers who has customers that will not say a negative word about them. I have never experienced that with online 'callers', in fact are the most recent posts HERE are about that. I would guess that if it were easy to gain access to these forums (it took me a LONG time - see first post) and people realized they could post here as quickly as facebook, we might here more 'negatives'

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:42 pm 

Thomas Trice wrote:
George,

Send me a couple of your software rich@triceauctions.com, I will take a look at it.

Thanks
Rich Trice

Gimme a day to recover from the truck show....if not tomorrow then wednesday

Will you run it on windows or Linux?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:45 pm 

I will be running it on windows

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:56 pm 

I sent the code as a .rar file (I use WinRAR) and it got bounced back, just sent it again as a .zip file - let me know if it goes. the original email I sent said to let me know when you have MySQL up so I can send the inserts.

to run it, you will need to alter the config file (ewcfg) for your id and password for MySQL

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next