AuctionZip Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:46 pm
Visit AuctionZip.com for
Live Auctions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Auction Flex or Sold II
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:12 pm 

We are upgrading and although most of you are using one of these auction programs already, we were still using MAXA. We are now in the market for a new program. What program would you recommend and please give one good quality and one bad quality about each.

We do 3 consignments a year as well as farm and estate auctions. We don't do much real estate.

Lots of vehicles/title items and small items. We don't catalog very much either.

Thanks~
Nadea, Wayne Bancroft Auction Service

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:16 pm 

Hi Wayne,

Auction Flex 100% , no issues and customer service is #1!!!!! I am not familiar with Sold 11.

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:54 pm 

Stay away from Sold II.
1. It's based on OLD technology
2. It crashes a lot - often requiring a complete reboot of the computer to get it going again.
3. I would stick to clerking tickets before using it, even if it was free.

Auctionflex is the leading auction software and there a lot of good reasons... way too many to list.
1. As Bob pointed out... great tech support, if and when needed.
2. You can set it up to fit YOUR needs - yes, that means lots of options, but once set up... (also see the previous sentence).
3. Inventory or lot numbers - no problem
4. Clerk on the fly - no problem
5. Check-in - type manually or use a swipe/barcode reader (depending on your state license format) - no problem... you can also take photos of your customers and "get to know them"
6. Clerking - no problem at all
7. Check out -GREAT! Print out a receipt for your customers... very professional
8. Want to conduct an online times OR simulcast auction? You can do that, too.

Over six years ago, when I was looking for a software program, I tested almost all that were on the market (I worked with an auctioneer that used Sold II). After about 3-months, it was obvious which one was the best choice.

Jim

http://www.t-na.com
281-479-7848

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:15 pm 

This is not a plug because its free....

Working with an auction house in VA, I wrote a set of software to manage your auction. (I also wrote a set of software to handle retail sales).

its all open source. I give it away. The catch? It runs on a LAMP or WAMP system (which is also open source and for the most part free, but you have to know some things)

I tried contacting the owner of the zip to inquire about how I could put up an advertisement so people who are still using the paper slip method (which does not come close to meeting current state revenue or IRS requirements for record keeping) can take a look. I got no response. Im not going to pay for an advertisement for something I give away - duh...

What do I mean I give it away?

Just that, I insert a thumb drive, type a couple commands and it is yours. Or I email it and some instructions. You may hire anyone on the planet to modify it. You may also give it away. You just cannot sell it if you use my code (research the GNU license) but you can charge people to install a package with my code.

Is it different from Flex? Yep. Can it do what I need? Yep. Can you make it do more things for me? Yep. the best feature: It can let you settle issues or sales with a previous auction WHILE you are in a current auction. For those with flex, that is gold. And it allows data mining. You can, with a few clicks, determine what sells the hottest, who buys what and determine trends.

Does it require proprietary hardware? Nope. Your laptop (or desktop if anyone still has one of those) serves as the bare minimum. Add a wireless router and you can use another laptop, tablet or even smart phone to clerk it.

Is it safe? It uses the IntRAnet, not the IntERnet to communicate, so its fairly hack proof. More so if you use a LAMP system vs a WAMP

Am I in competition with Flex or Sold? Nope. I give it away. Their sales have no effect on me. Heck I could care less if they got 100% market share EACH. I do not want to see paper slips anymore. Ever bring paper slips to a tax audit? It is in your best interest to not have paper slips

Why did you do this? I was bored one night, tired of using excel to manage sales and lets face it, it was the right thing to do.

How much data can it hold? Current version 2 billion items. If you sell 2 billion items you will likely retire and buy half of costa rica.

What is it written in? Server side scripting pages (PHP with JS). Why? why not a fixed language? a) because they don't teach people how to program anymore in ASM or C and b) just about any tech savvy HS kid knows how to do PHP or Java. your kid, may actually know more about this than you do.

Why web based? As my chief programmer at IBM once said back in the 90's: everyone knows how to use a mouse now.

quick list of can do's:
Perm buyers, not perm buyers or a mix. - 100% flexible. but once a buyer is in, even if not perm number, they are in forever
Does sales tax and tax exempt
allows multiple lots per sale
allows multiple items (such as choice)
allows buyers to pay as they go, multiple check outs per day
allows an auction to span multiple days (house in VA runs a Christmas auction each year, 5pm to around 2am)
tracks a buyer history even if they have a different number each auction.
allows buyers to pay later (the auction house in VA did that courtesy to some perm buyers)
prints a receipt (printer required)
exports to a very compact file for disaster recovery.
allows 15 clerks at once (but can go higher)
multiple database views to allow you to determine how much you made (isn't that the point?)
completely mine-able (for example show me all the coleman lanterns sold this year.... or show me how much joe schmoe buys from me...etc)

This is a tech replacement for the paper slips. I am not in competition with what is out there.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:59 am 

So how do we go about getting a copy of your software?

Thanks..

George Graffius wrote:

Working with an auction house in VA, I wrote a set of software to manage your auction. (I also wrote a set of software to handle retail sales).

its all open source. I give it away. The catch? It runs on a LAMP or WAMP system (which is also open source and for the most part free, but you have to know some things)

I tried contacting the owner of the zip to inquire about how I could put up an advertisement so people who are still using the paper slip method (which does not come close to meeting current state revenue or IRS requirements for record keeping) can take a look. I got no response. Im not going to pay for an advertisement for something I give away - duh...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:56 pm 

I've used both. Auctionflex is a Boeing 787 jet and Sold II is Bi-Plane- reliable in my experience, but so limited as to be useless compared to AF. Additionally, AF people are very friendly, smart and helpful.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:40 pm 

Peter Hess wrote:
So how do we go about getting a copy of your software?

Thanks..

George Graffius wrote:

email me at my address of record for here and I will start the process (remember it runs on a LAMP or WAMP system - you need to set one up (you can download the entire set of binaries for free)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:59 pm 

Unfortunately PM's are not working and when I look up your profile there is no e-mail address set.

George Graffius wrote:

[/quote]

email me at my address of record for here and I will start the process (remember it runs on a LAMP or WAMP system - you need to set one up (you can download the entire set of binaries for free)[/quote]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:57 pm 

Do you have a website with info or perhaps screen shots and/or demo?

I don't make a habit of just loading software on my computer unless I have a good idea of what I might expect.

George Graffius wrote:

This is a tech replacement for the paper slips. I am not in competition with what is out there.

http://www.t-na.com
281-479-7848

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:42 am 

Nothing against George here at all, but i would stay away software that is free, you get no support and when it comes to an auction house and no support that is a very bad combo, even worse on auction day.

I hope the man leaves forever but what happens to your software if something to George and you built your company around a software instead of a company?

Free is good, but customer support is better.