AuctionZip Forum
It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 3:50 am
Visit AuctionZip.com for
Live Auctions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:45 am 

For Newbies...........and after reading all this, realize I still do NOT know how to buy things online, successfully where I am not "ripped off" or just unorganized business's running these auctions with AuctionZip, all the shipping companies, different rules and regulations on each site so you do not know whos you are reading and accepting. Or who actually has the merchandise, who is auctioning it, where does my money go to, the auctioneer company or auctionzip?? Why are up to 20 lots at a time skipped? Why is a Lot left off a bill that was won even when both companies are called and told immediately as it happens? And NO ONE ELSE even bid on it, except me? LOL yeah, Can Anyone answer those questions?.

I sat through a 16 hr auction around the 2nd week of December and it was a fiasco. From skipping lots I had waited hours to bid on, to not including Lots I had won on my invoice, and I saw it happening and immediately tried calling during the auction. To have won at a price of say 10 dollars but getting charged the 25 dollar starting bid they were having to drop because no one was bidding. So when they hit 5 or 10 I won the Lots, but they were not included on my invoice.
Then SHIPPING. What another fiasco!! I read the auctioneer company shipping policy that said to use THEIR own local company. Contact them, gave their names, and number. Just one company he allowed. Then I also read the one from Auctionzip and at this point confused as to which one was going to be correct in my case. You have the auctioneer company, or who holds the goods, then you have Auctionzip who does what? Run the actually bidding and online auction?
So, I get charged incorrectly on a few items (I kept detailed notes), it went on for 16 hrs, and I am disabled, they skipped 20 lots at one time, and I had some I bid on and won that were completely missing from my invoice. So then, I try the day of the auction sending emails to clarify the shipping but never got anything back from either company. So, my first auction online, I am excited, nice gifts for family members and I do not have to pay someone 27 an hour to take me to shop, the help wrap etc. So, then I send a copy of my reciept the first time to the shipping company told by the auctioneers company to use, and I got a price back of 600 to 750 dollars~~ Good lord, all of my items only came to 300 dollars, nothing big, alot of small stuff, and some glass yes. It was explained it was delivered freight, like to a business and did I have a unloading dock. I am, well no, I live at the very end of a small culdesac in a house. Wheww....by now I am devastated to think I am loosing not only many Christmas presents, donated to my charity by buying from this Company, but also got some things for myself! I am freight?? I have to say that the shipping company was very nice and a man did email me back and say he could probably get it down around 450 dollars and they do not really have people that like work at a UPS store who for minimum wage go and pack up boxes and mail them USPS. So, Now I am getting this new view on how all this works. Forget someone like me who is buying for herself, this is just for big money people who are buying big ticket items to be hauled to their business where they must have big antique stores and such so they can get their own show on TV right? At the first email from the shipping company for 600 to 750, I cc'd the auctioneer company who had the items (I guess, who knows Auctionzip could all be owned by the same person, and the shipping company for all I know) and saidthere was no way I was paying that much for shipping when I knew at a max it would cost probably 250 USPS. So, I gave up everything, alot of my close family members, including my grandchildren did not get their Christmas presents from me. So through all the confusing Auctioneer, then AuctionZip, each having different shipping companies and prices, and a auction that went on, confirmed by the Auctioneer, far too long for ANYONE. I had a horrible Christmas. I could not change out auctioneers to go pee or eat like they could, I had to sit here all day and through the night. :/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:30 am 

Sounds like a nightmare and a real headache. I do not pretend to know what the solution is, but is this common with other online auction formats, or does it seem to be specific to auctionzip? Not trying to point fingers, just really very curious.

Makes me glad I have so far stayed out of the online auction side of this business, although I do take absentee bids, but have never had to charge a buyer what I considered to be an unreasonable amount for shipping and handling. I also always contact the buyer prior to shipping and tell them the total cost. To date, no one has had an issue with those costs.

I don't always take these complaints about online auctions that seriously because a lot of times it sounds like unreasonable whining, but Ms. Hill has a lot of concerns and complaints that quite frankly, I think need to be checked out and investigated by AuctionZip so they and online auctioneers can figure out a better way of doing business. Does not really impact me negatively because maybe some of those unhappy online buyers will either try to attend my auctions or at least try doing business with me with absentee bids.

Lyn Liechty, Auctioneer
www.arealauction.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:34 pm 

Mrs. Hill sorry you had such a bad experience I do not know what else to say.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:17 pm 

Was that omega auction house

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:54 pm 

It sounds like the auctioneer didn't really have his act together.

I would caution bidders to be aware of the actual cost of packing and shipping for auctioneers or pack/ship stores. It costs no less to ship a $10 depression glass vase than a Tiffany jack-in-pulpit that cost $25,000 (if you disregard insurance). Someone has to obtain proper materials, wrap, double box it, pay someone to do the labor, and then pay UPS (who's rates are always going up). We offer packing and shipping and I never fail to be astonished at how much money we lose trying to offer the service at a fair price.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:54 am 

I don't even try to make money shipping out items. I take the package to a professional, obtain an estimate on total cost, then contact the buyer with that information. When the buyer sends the money, I take the item back to the professional shipper and get it sent out.

I don't wish to be bothered with accusations of my not packing something properly.

Lyn Liechty, Auctioneer
www.arealauction.com