AuctionZip Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:24 pm
Visit AuctionZip.com for
Live Auctions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mistakenly bid live
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:51 pm 

I bid on a auction while trying to scroll to another page. I won the bid for $3050.00. I contacted the auction house right away. And told them what happened . The following morning I got a invoice for $3,599.00 or something close to that. Again I emailed them and told them what happened. While trying to leave the page I bid. They emailed me back and said they would resale the item. But, I would have to pay $547.00 to pay the auction house ,etc. . I contacted support for help. They told me to contact the auction house. The auction house took $547.00 out of my account today. What a huge cost for a mistake.

Post subject: Re: Mistakenly bid live
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:54 am 

Bet you won't make that mistake again. :(

Lyn Liechty, Auctioneer
www.arealauction.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:46 pm 

I sympathize and I know this can happen, but we hear this story at least once every auction and we can't just give someone a mulligan every time they have buyer's remorse because we have a fiduciary responsibility to the seller. Bidders need to be very careful when logged into a bidding console.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:43 am 

that's crazy--maybe make it a set charge that would be cheaper than almost 20 percent- 500 an something just to relist---how much of that goes to item owner? hmmmm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:11 pm 

john oels - 1 wrote:
that's crazy--maybe make it a set charge that would be cheaper than almost 20 percent- 500 an something just to relist---how much of that goes to item owner? hmmmm

I might recommend using a calculator. It was 18%... not almost 20%.
Your suggested $500 is over 16%... which is kind of like splitting hairs.

Considering $3599 is 18% over the $3050 bid price, I would assume the 18% was the buyer's premium.

http://www.t-na.com
281-479-7848

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:03 pm 

This situation is not like an in-person event where you can beg, cajole and hopefully your mistaken bid is forgiven at the time, the item is re-sold and there aren't any ugly consequences. Unfortunately online auctions don't work that way. There is no chance to resell or undo a bidder's mistake.

(Provided an auctioneer could, because according to law once an item is "SOLD" it is sold, is my understanding.)

Mary should consider herself lucky in at least a couple of ways. First, she is extremely lucky to have been allowed to back out of the deal. Her mistake is causing the auction house and consignor nuisance value, wasted time and likely expense, having to deal with an item that was supposed to have been sold and gone. To her credit she's taking full responsibility for hitting the bid bar by mistake.

She is also very, very lucky that there were not more 0's at the end of the hammer price. Of course a $30 or even $300 "win" would have been preferable to the "$3050, but ..... it could have been worse. Much worse. And they were gracious enough to let her off the hook for a percentage, instead of the full amount.

It is very easy to bump that bid bar by mistake. I've done it, my husband has done it. Others we have heard of have done it. With that live console up on the screen you have to be extremely careful. The best way, if you're not bidding, is to move the entire page down so the bid bar is far out of sight at the bottom, so it can't be accidentally clicked on but you can still see which Lot is up for bid.

"I'm not an auctioneer - I've just come to appreciate the good ones !"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:27 am 

Not terribly smart about any of this, but it seems to me if it is that easy to accidentally hit the "bid bar", would it not solve the problem if whenever one hit the bid bar, a message would pop up asking for confirmation that you do wish to bid. So it adds a second to the process. It might be worth it for all.

Lyn Liechty, Auctioneer
www.arealauction.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:01 am 

i think adding the confirm button would make more people lost online bids, causing more headaches in the long run.

the ratio to missed bids by adding the confirm button would be far out weight the mistake bids, plus the last thing my on-site crowd wants it to wait more on online bidders.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:32 pm 

I would think it would take less than a second to push one more button, but I really don't care. I don't sell online and I don't buy online. Just don't see that fraction of a second being that much of a problem.

Lyn Liechty, Auctioneer
www.arealauction.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:46 pm 

I understand that online bidding in conjunction with a live auction already drags things down.
I can also see how adding a confirm button could certainly impact that time, as well. After all, servers may bog down and sometimes it may take more than just "a second" for online bids to come through, without another step in the process.

Considering all of that, it really sounds like a good reason to do LIVE auctions. Then you don't have to worry about such things.

Jim

http://www.t-na.com
281-479-7848