AuctionZip Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:53 pm
Visit AuctionZip.com for
Live Auctions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:21 pm 

Lyn Liechty wrote:
If you were not willing to talk to the auctioneer AFTER the auction was over then you really are whining about nothing.

You simply do not disrupt an auction. Good manners dictate you take it up with the auctioneer at a more appropriate time. And that has absolutely nothing to do with sticking up for an auctioneer. That comment is simply insulting.

I have to wonder what your reaction would have been had you been undercharged rather than overcharged. Would you have brought that to the attention to the auctioneer? I rather doubt it!

Lyn Liechty, Auctioneer
http://www.arealauction.com

are you saying my time means nothing? you wanted me to wait on his Highness for 7 or so, more hours in the blazing sun standing around watching bulldozers and broken down wagon gears and general crap I have no interest in sell, to get a "shot" at satisfaction? .. if you were paying attention, you would already see I said a decision was made by the auction house in 3 seconds or less.. are you joking about the undercharged remark? seriously, in many years of auction attending you would think statistically at least one time you would get "undercharged?" .. funny how that has never happened.. I wonder why?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:25 pm 

Lyn Liechty wrote:
If you were not willing to talk to the auctioneer AFTER the auction was over then you really are whining about nothing.

You simply do not disrupt an auction. Good manners dictate you take it up with the auctioneer at a more appropriate time. And that has absolutely nothing to do with sticking up for an auctioneer. That comment is simply insulting.

I have to wonder what your reaction would have been had you been undercharged rather than overcharged. Would you have brought that to the attention to the auctioneer? I rather doubt it!

Lyn Liechty, Auctioneer

As usual... I think you just nailed it on the head.

http://www.t-na.com
281-479-7848

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:28 pm 

Dane Allen wrote:
are you saying my time means nothing? you wanted me to wait on his Highness for 7 or so, more hours in the blazing sun standing around watching bulldozers and broken down wagon gears and general crap I have no interest in sell, to get a "shot" at satisfaction? .. if you were paying attention, you would already see I said a decision was made by the auction house in 3 seconds or less.. are you joking about the undercharged remark? seriously, in many years of auction attending you would think statistically at least one time you would get "undercharged?" .. funny how that has never happened.. I wonder why?

Well, it may not have happened to you or perhaps you just didn't catch the error. However, I can certainly tell you that it does happen just as often as an over-charge mistake occurs. Unless it's a significant amount, we usually make the correction so that our seller gets their appropriate portion and we "eat" the difference.

Yes, you should wait until the auction is over. Out of 1000 bidders, why are you more special than any of them... who are still waiting for that particular item they want to bid on?

No, I was not "taking up" for anyone. However, I have had the "pleasure" of dealing with those that claim their principles are more important than the job I'm attempting to complete in a timely and ethical manner, while trying to keep the majority satisfied. Of course, there's usually that "one" in just about every crowd.

281-479-7848

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:29 pm 

@ Lyn ,
if I may, can I ask you what your opinion is on auction companies that are hosting the event(if hosting is the proper word to use?) bidding and perhaps winning the bid and buying merchandise at the auction? either indirectly by having stooges out in the auction crowd, or directly by having their set-up men and ring men bidding?.. or in other words, does getting "run up" make you a happy guy?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:45 pm 

understaffed auction companies are not fair to the attendees, they should have somebody on hand, even if it means hiring temporary workers, and to have some type of manager to act as a customer service rep and make decisions about anything related to the event, any time, whether during, before, or after the auction... for at least the third time I will tell you, in 3 seconds a decision was made to "leave the item" rather than put any effort into resolving the matter.. either I pay $80.00 which was NOT the winning bid, or I leave the item simple as that.. if you guys do not see the vast difference in quality of auction companies then I know I am talking to the wrong people about getting a wrong righted..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:46 pm 

You're not going to get any wrongs righted by posting your gripes on a forum.
The only way to get anything righted is by talking to the auctioneer that you are trying to lamblast, yet isn't here to answer your accusations.

I might perceive that the auctioneer did not have the time to stop and give you the attention that you desired, so he offered you the option to not pay for the item (let you out of a binding contract). Of course, you could have stuck around until the auction was over and discussed the matter, but that was too much trouble for you... no, you're special and the world should stop for you and your principles that you proclaim to extol, while you complain and tell everyone why you think you were wronged.

I don't care how many people are working at my auction. There is only ONE that has the authority to change/void/alter the terms of the contract that you entered into upon the call of "sold" and that is the person that you made the contract with, i.e. the AUCTIONEER. No one else can possess that authority, as they did not enter into a contractual agreement with you.

To put it bluntly... If you don't see the legalities that have been explained to you, then you are the one with the problem. If you really think you were wronged, then get yourself a lawyer. Complaining about it here is not going to do you any good and like I've already said... there's TWO SIDES to every story. Just because you think you're right, doesn't mean it's so.

Let us know what the attorney had to say...

281-479-7848

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:55 am 

Dane Allen wrote:
Lyn Liechty wrote:

Lyn Liechty, Auctioneer

Don't be ridiculous. If a mistake is made, it can go either way. No, you don't have to wait on "his Highness" (another insulting comment), you could give the auctioneer a call the next day if it is really that important to you. You really think it is fair to the other bidders in attendance to have their time consumed while you argue with an auctioneer over twenty dollars? I had a situation a few years ago where a guy bought a Suburban then decided it wasn't any good and refused to pay for it. The problem was he did not know how to put it in four wheel drive. I did not have time to argue with him as I was busy selling, so I just told him to leave it. I ended up buying the Suburban drove it for three or four years until it shorted out and burned the wiring. The insurance company paid me almost triple what I had originally paid for it. I simply did not have time at auction to deal with someone who was too damn dumb to drive a four wheel drive vehicle!

Lyn Liechty, Auctioneer
www.arealauction.com

Lyn Liechty, Auctioneer
www.arealauction.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:08 am 

Dane Allen wrote:
@ Lyn ,
if I may, can I ask you what your opinion is on auction companies that are hosting the event(if hosting is the proper word to use?) bidding and perhaps winning the bid and buying merchandise at the auction? either indirectly by having stooges out in the auction crowd, or directly by having their set-up men and ring men bidding?.. or in other words, does getting "run up" make you a happy guy?

The term is "conducting" an auction. An auctioneer Bidding on items without disclosing he is doing so is unethical and perhaps illegal. If the auctioneer makes a full disclosure then there is nothing wrong with it, but is not necessarily a good idea as bidders perceptions may not be what an auctioneer wants. Running the bids for the purpose of artificially raising the final selling price is illegal and just plain wrong, but this is a whole different situation than what you originally posted about. At my auctions, I try to avoid bidding. That is a personal choice I make. Other auctioneers can and will bid. My staff is allowed to bid and they get in line and pay at the end of the day too. I might add if they decide to dispute the selling price, they are NOT allowed to disrupt the auction to get it resolved. I will speak to anyone after the auction. It may take me a few days to come to a decision, but a decision will be made.

I had a situation a couple of months ago where a buyer claimed he did not buy a specific item and so the cashier voided the sale. That was a mistake on her part as she is not authorized to do that. Rest assured, that will NOT happen again. This particular buyer did in fact buy the item in question because I remember selling it. The problem was the clerk did not describe the item the way the buyer expected it to be described so he jumped to the conclusion that a mistake had been made when in fact there was no mistake. In that case, even though I did not like it, I ended up eating that expense. In the future, a bidder who disputes a purchase or a price is going to have to deal with me afterwards, but he will be dealt with fairly.

Lyn Liechty, Auctioneer
www.arealauction.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:51 am 

Dane.....Save Us all Some Headaches, Please Don't attend Live Auctions, Bid at Home Online, That Way All is Documented.

http://WWW.JERSEYCOUNTYAUCTIONS.COM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:43 am 

I just want to say, I will continue to go to local auctions as I have always done, I am not yet ready to pay a premium to online auction formats.. I know for a fact I am a desired asset to most auction companies since I make them money by attending and bidding, but it seems I will not be attending any more auctions of aforementioned auction co. unless they give me a phone call and tell me they were wrong and I was right.. I still love them and personally wish them well, but they will not be making commissions off my bids anymore and will no longer be "using my money" when I bid stuff up for them..to do that to a long time customer.. but I think the mindset of auctioneers lately, is that thanks to TV programs like auction gods, storage wars, etc. it is bringing in a lot of newbies not knowing true market value on items and bidding and paying way too much for items..just because antiques road show says it's worth that.. LOl..and auctioneers will enjoy this phenomenon for another couple years or so, and then the bottom will fall out as these newbies realize they lost money trying to re-sell it online somewhere, and quit coming to auctions and ruining it for long time experienced buyers like me....that's when certain auctioneers will pray people like me show up and buy again regularly, and to be able to perform their service of liquidating estates etc. I believe I have been taken for granted, cause I don't bid like in the past, because newbies are driving prices up beyond reason.. good day to all that replied.. I will blow off the 20 dollars, and go on ..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next