AuctionZip Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:59 pm
Visit AuctionZip.com for
Live Auctions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Auctioneer Courtesy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:53 pm 

I call many auctioneers during the week in search for what I collect. 99% are quite helpful but the other 1% could use a little more courtesy. When someone calls and leaves a message, have the courtesy to return the call.
Secondly, if you do not wish to take absentee bids have the courtesy to say so in your ad so I don't waste my time calling you. This leads to my opinion on absentee bids. Why not take them? You will get the most for the item and therefore more commission. I always thought the idea was to make the most for your client not just give the stuff away. If your going to give it away the client could do that and not hire you.
Third, has to do with photos. At least show a photo of an item you know will have interest. I have seen many that a dozen photos were shown of one item ( when a couple would do) and none of several items I know that would draw interest.

Post subject: Re: Auctioneer Courtesy
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:32 am 

You Would Be Surprised At How Many photos I take At A Regular Auction, We try To Photograph Most of The Auction, Even Though You may Look at Several Of the Same Item, It May be From A different Side, Or Angle, Just Because It may Not have An Interest To You, But it Does to Someone. We try To Answer or Return All Calls ,But once Again Our Phone Rings on Auction Day The Most, When Questions Could Had Been Answered Several Days Before, Had the Interested Party Just Called Then. Auctioneers Get Very busy on The Day of The Auction, And May not Be able to Get You the Information You Want At that Point. Just Remember to call Several Days Prior to the Auction, And then Again, If a Return call hasn't Been Received.......Have You Ever Forgotten To Return A call, Or Do something Else You Meant To Do? Yes, Working Auctions We do Try to get The Most We can, But You have to Remember Your Calling, And We proably Have Been Dealing with Walk ins Wanting to Look At Something, Or Stopping By For More Information...This Happens A lot When You Run a Auction House.

http://WWW.JERSEYCOUNTYAUCTIONS.COM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:04 pm 

Well said John. We return all calls but at our auction facility we have zero phone service. Please don't blame us blame the phone companies for thier poor service. We even return the calls that leave a message on auction day after the auction is over and explain to them that the reason we didn't call earlier is due to not recieving the call. John said it best "call early " and we will be more than happy to take your bid as long as you agree to our absentee bidder policy as we have to pay people to attend the auction and bid on your behalf.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:37 pm 

Mr. Dunker, Mr. Adams I have purchased a lot from auctions by absentee bids and have no problem agreeing to the terms. I do call early and sometimes I am asked to call back on auction day. For example in the last two days I have called 14 auctioneers. Of these I either talked to or received a return call from 13 of them.
As for the photos I would think that if someone collects certain items they should know what they are looking at and don't need a dozen photos. Like myself one good photo tells me everything I need to know. Not to be smart but how many photos of, for example, a vase are needed?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:58 am 

Raymond,
I understand Your Point of View, But At the Same Time, Some People Do like More Photos, And I am Willing to Take Them. I would much Rather Show You 5 photos of a Item, Than You Buy It, And Say That You Didn't See Something That I should Had Photographed. What Any Auctioneer Is Doing , When They take this Many Photos, Is making Sure You Know Exactly What Your Buying So there Is Less Problems Later. I myself Will Keep Taking Photos (And Lots Of them!)

http://WWW.JERSEYCOUNTYAUCTIONS.COM

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:50 am 

I take tons of photos and I try to make sure the photos I take are clear. At a recent auction, I posted nearly 800 photos. It does not matter how many photos I take, absentee bidders ALWAYS ask for more. I don't mind doing that and sending them an email, providing I have time. Two days prior or the day before the auction is when most decide to contact me and is the very worst time period for me. Bidders, all that furniture and all those smalls organized so nicely out on the front lawn did not grow there overnight. We spent hours categorizing, sorting, cleaning and then displaying those items. It is not uncommon for the auctioneer and his crew to spend an entire day getting that Saturday auction set up properly. Do not expect an answer from me the day before, and for sure do not call my house at 9:30 the morning of the auction when it starts at 10:00 A.M. I will be out of the house and working by six a.m. at the latest. Or even worse, an auction several weeks ago, the guy calls my cell phone about 40 minutes into the auction and expected me to take the call and handle his needs all while I am selling primitives off a hay wagon! I can multi-task to a point, but I am not that good. The guy didn't get the tractor he wanted to bid on because he thought he could wait on the phone until the last second to give my wife a bid. He thought wrong! When I say sold, I mean sold! Ok, that's my vent for the day!

Lyn Liechty, Auctioneer
http://www.arealauction.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:05 pm 

The auction we have coming up on Sept. 1st has well over 500 pictures posted and we are already taking more and sending them by email to cuious buyers. that is just fine with me as it is still 3 weeks away and if someone is that interested that they want more precise pictures then we do what we can. Just call soon enough for us to help.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:45 am 

Thanks for all of your replies, but I think some of you missed my point. I am not complaining about taking pictures, I like lots of pictures. Just take one of some items that would draw interest. For example military uniforms, supposedly anything military is hot according to all of the tv shows ;) . One picture will tell me enough about it. Don't have it folded up with the back or side showing, in a rack of other clothing or a closeup of the collar. A nice frontal view that shows all of the insignia will work and yes you can position it to show the shoulders and sleeves.
My other point of no return calls just happened this week. More often than not when I call the auctioneer he hadn't seen the item or looked at it briefly (a photo would have helped me to determine if I wanted to call). I am then told to call back the day before or of the auction as that is when they will see it again. You tell me that this is your busiest time, which I understand, but I am being told to call then.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:47 pm 

If I might add to this, another problem I run into all the time, is photos that are duplicated and so they appear twice or sometimes even 3 times! in the list of pictures accompanying AZ listings.

I can empathize with Mr Moore also because often in the written description, lots will be mentioned and even emphasized, then NO pictures !! This can especially be a pain because often one of my "item alerts" searches will find a particular word in an auction description, then there is no photo to be found.

I am grateful when auctioneers can list their events as early as possible. I try to avoid absentee bids, and if something is of value and important I cannot buy sight unseen. So please keep doing the best you can.

We like to try to find auctions we can actually attend, which can mean a long drive and staying overnight (the last time was a 4.5 hr drive each way + a hotel night, and I felt it was very very well worth it). If I can't get an answer until the day before the sale it is just plain too late. (However we understand if your turnaround time is short, getting the assignment, doing the advertising, getting the lots together and holding the sale all sometimes within 2 weeks or even possibly less.)

"I'm not an auctioneer - I've just come to appreciate the good ones !"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:41 pm 

Raymond thanks for your concerns and advice. There are improvements to be made in any business. They are really not meaning to be argumentative with you, but merely show you the other side. Sometimes the level of detail you desire is not feasible in every auction. For example if I have a $1000 auction I cannot spend 2 months pouring over the items and taking pictures of every single item and writing long descriptions. Keep in mind cable auction shows are mostly "unreality" tv. You are right there is always room for improvement and thank you for taking the time to point out from a bidders perspective how we can improve.