AuctionZip Forum
It is currently Fri May 22, 2015 4:28 am
Visit AuctionZip.com for
Live Auctions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:47 am 

:?: We own a couple of Colonel 7 pa units but would like to wireless.I know the Colonel 500 is no longer made ... But would be intrested in knowing how good they are or maybe compare this older unit to a Long Ranger. May can pick one up on eBay.
Thanks for any feedback or comparison.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:12 am 

You'll hear a lot of people say they don't like the 500. I've used a 2 channel 500 since 2001 and have put in 1 new battery and had the squelch adjusted once. The turn around from the factory was 2 days.

[url]www.bid1pro.com[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:42 pm 

I've said it before and I'll say it again and again, Megavox beats them hands down. :D :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:21 pm 

Of course, I have to agree with Bob. The MegaVox is the best unit on the market, when it comes to portable PA systems. In addition to being the best sounding (no tinny horn sound), it has plenty of power output and the battery will last ALL DAY!

Once you've owned one of these, you won't even think about another portable PA.

Jim Ford
Professional Auctioneer & Auction Marketing for the 21st Century

http://www.t-na.com
281-479-7848

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:35 pm 

:?: What kinds of dislikes do people have about the 500? Sound thin and tinney? Underpowered or does the wireless drop out? Whats the usual gripes?Our Colonel 7's are a little thin sounding compared to the half mile hailers we have but they do have a crystal clear sound no matter what microphone you use.The hailers can get a little muddy with a really good microphone and the volume turned up too much.The Colonels are loud enough but do not seem quite as powerful as the hailers. Personally with my voice, I like the clean sound of the Colonel units better. They are also pretty small units and are easy to carry making them fairly unobtrusive.

I have never had any dealings with the megavox but obviously they are good units judging by your responses...and will keep them in mind.

I don't do a lot of remote (on site) auctions usually .. about once, maybe twice a month usually selling impounded cars...and i just don't need a new expensive unit.Just tired of wires!

What are the gripes of the 500 and how do they fair to the long ranger?
I have only seen one megavox on ebay and it wasn't wireless ... so it will likely be a colonel 500 or a long ranger.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:27 pm 

There are most new MegaVox's on Ebay. There are variations, from the basic system with microphone to 1 or 2 wireless systems. For more information on the different types, you can go to http://www.anchoraudio.com. You can also find links to dealers and talk to them about the units.

You probably won't find many used ones, because most don't give 'em up, once they used one. They aren't "tinny" or "thin" and they have a real good sound. In addition, they last forever. As far as the cons, I haven't found any, yet.

However, you listed a few of the cons for the Colonel models. I attended the Missouri Auction School and of course, they spent a little time showing off their PA systems. I knew right then, that it wasn't the best sounding equipment... but then again, I've been around some good PA systems.

The MegaVox will do well in an auction house, as well as an outdoor venue. However, these days, I usually take the "line out" and feed it into my "house system", only so I can use the wireless mic. When I have an on-site auction, I just unplug it, grab the wireless mic and I'm on my way.

Jim Ford
Professional Auctioneer & Auction Marketing for the 21st Century

http://www.t-na.com
281-479-7848

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:49 am 

If you go with the MegaVox,You will be happy, the sound quality is excellant.
Richard
Scorpion Auctions

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:13 am 

We bought all of ours from Rich Basinger at basinger audio is on the internet and he has great prices (better prices than he has listed on his web site. Just call him and talk with him about it. 1-877-638-5816

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:22 pm 

I have not had good luck getting my PA system that I bought from Missouri Auction School fixed. The wireless died and when I inquired about service I was told they did not service my model's wireless, but that they would sell me a new one. If they don't service the old ones why in the wide wide world of sports would I buy another one from them. In fairness it wasn't the auction school that told me that but the company that makes their sould systems.
rob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:10 pm 

You folks that have colonel 500 units that quit working give me a shout. I buy used equipment that is in need of repair. I like all of the old Colonel units!