AuctionZip Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:48 pm
Visit AuctionZip.com for
Live Auctions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:15 am 

You're right about one thing, George... there's a disconnect, alright.

BTW, I'm not a "caller." However, I am a Professional Auctioneer and I operate a business, like any other business.
But, again, there's that disconnect thing you like to fall back on.

http://www.t-na.com
281-479-7848

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:12 am 

James Ford wrote:

BTW, I'm not a "caller." However, I am a Professional Auctioneer and I operate a business, like any other business.

http://mikebrandlyauctioneer.wordpress.com/2010/09/26/what-is-the-difference-between-an-auctioneer-and-a-bid-caller/

No slight was intended as you apparently took it. As you have read, its a term that has been around since the beginning of the sport. But it is the 2000's and people like to rename things. You may refer to me as an 'Enterprise Systems Architect' :-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:25 pm 

George Graffius wrote:
James Ford wrote:

http://mikebrandlyauctioneer.wordpress.com/2010/09/26/what-is-the-difference-between-an-auctioneer-and-a-bid-caller/

No slight was intended as you apparently took it. As you have read, its a term that has been around since the beginning of the sport. But it is the 2000's and people like to rename things. You may refer to me as an 'Enterprise Systems Architect' :-)

I may agree with Mike on many things, but not all. For that matter, there are a lot of auctioneers conducting online only auctions these days and don't call bids. They still consider themselves an auctioneer, as well.

I do conduct live auctions and I do call bids. However, there's a whole lot more to being a Professional Auctioneer than calling bids.

http://www.t-na.com
281-479-7848

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:40 pm 

James Ford wrote:
Bob Roberts wrote:
Online Auctions are not a fad, they are here to stay, whether you like them or not. The new bidders and clients like it and expect it. More & More Auction Companies are moving to online for one reason, bigger market and higher prices. Antique stores are struggling and more dealers are getting out, they are living in the past with high prices and items no one wants. The only person making real money in an Antique Mall is the owner of the facility with rent fees and commissions. Dealers tell you they make money, but if they add the hours up, fuel used to drive around buying the items, in reality they break even at best. Most dealers tell me they make no money and they do it to keep busy. We do live Auctions and online. Several Auction companies here have gone online and state they will not go back to live auctions. Regulation is coming. Ebay has suffered because they cater to the buyer, not the seller, it should be the other way around. The buyers that complain in most cases , did not read the Terms and or description and if they did, they ignored it and then complained any how. The next generation of Auction Goers are Tech Savvy and want to do business online (busy life style and way of life). If you do not have your business online, you more and likely will fail in the near future.

Bob

Online vs. Live auctions... Online brings more higher prices? Hogwash!
The next generation wants to do business online? More Hogwash!
If you do not have your business online, you more and likely will fail in the near future? PURE BUNK!

So, you think that in the future, everyone will sit on their butt and have everything delivered to them and communicate through a computer or smartphone and live in the Matrix... pure fantasy.

I recently revisited this site, 4 years later and was re-reading and have to laugh and update this.

First off, within a year after I offered the data engine for auction houses, it was picked up, under the terms of the GPL and is now included in a marketed product that is growing a following. MY baby is all grown up and I am proud.

But in the 4 years since we had this exchange, some things have happened:

Amazon has become the 10th? 11th? largest economy in the world.
Walmart has re-invented itself as an amazon clone with brick and mortar 'fulfillment zones'.
The company that inadvertently invented the whole ordered/delivered from/to home market: sears, managed to miss the point completely and disappear
and Ebay booted the little guys and has become a very large multi node amazon.
and the inventor of the ebay payment engine, paypal, launched his car into space

and lastly, states are moving to requiring a licensed auctioneer to handle any of the online auction packages, zip, hibid bidto, etc and sadly, many auctioneers are leaving live auctions for online as it cuts their largest cost out: labor

WE didnt see that one coming. No, Im serious, we didnt see that one coming. Its now hard for me to find a LIVE auction and I live but a short drive from zip HQ.

In the meantime, the TV shows dealing with buying low out of lockers or basements have died off (and I miss Brandi) and people realized the market saturated fast.

Very few are collecting, even less are hoarding, and mining the data from the sales software nationwide has found that (mostly) women are buying accent pieces only, be it a bauble or a painted piece - its just 1.

Whomever said it previously is more right: the only ones making a living are the store owners who live from collecting rent.

In the last year we got another house and are remodelling both (I do not EVER recommend remodelling the house you are living in at the same time...) Our store receipts basically go from store to lowes or home depot. This was never a career for us, the software biz is for me of course, but the "antiques" have funded drywall and applicances and 2x4s etc as a second job.

Our own business has changed, we have not been to a 'game' for antiques in over a year and a half. we are down to 4 locations and shrinking space with inventory EXCEPT for the money maker: stereo/radio restoration, rock vinyl and trains. I often joked that if I could sell off the old stuff and focus on them Id make more money with less work, so I did and am. There is a vinyl bubble for sure and we make sure there is no 'licorice pizza' in house (vinyl that is not rock or jazz) and I often have stereos sold they day I finish them. I predict that trend will die off in the USA around the time I want to retire to the garage and our cars.....

I did note that my software for personal sales, i.e. those who sell out of antiques mall has caused quite a few to just give it up, once they realized how much each sale TRULY cost. (the kicker being mileage, people enter the miles they drive and the rate has never been less than 50 cents a mile for the last 5-6 years, it adds up next thing you know, they have a loss on the schedule C for a couple years and the IRS no longer lets them be a business....)

I no longer do installs, Im letting the cousin 'IT guy' of the original handle it. I just send updates. and I dont do many of those, not to brag, but it just does not crash. feature updates only.

If anyone is in the winchester VA area and wants to come on board, if you are not, just write and Ill send the contact info.

In other words, to sum up since I am rambling, yes, everything is online and no, people no longer want to go outside unless they really have to. Electronics have replaced human interaction, which of course, is neither - if you get the dark meaning.