AuctionZip Forum
It is currently Sun May 03, 2015 6:51 am
Visit AuctionZip.com for
Live Auctions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:01 pm 

Hello to all,

I registered on this site a few years ago, while checking local auctions, times, and offerings. When I just remembered about this site yesterday, I found an auction that states "Online Auction" only. I tried to find some info on this and could not find anything worth my time. I found an item I wanted to bid on, and bid on it. I saw that there was one bid on the item, and the price started at $100 and even though this person bid on the item, it still showed $100 as the price and reserve not met.

I decided to make a bid above $100 considerably, and even though I used an Absentee Bid form to enter my bid, I continued to enter it.

Now, I figured the bid on the item would at least now be my bid, as I assume I did not enter over the reserve price. But no, it still showed $100 and 1 bid entered as before. Why didn't my bid show up and why did it now show "bids pending, reserve not met?"

This got me totally confused, and when I looked in Member Options or Member Info, or whatever it is called, it showed I entered a bid and it was pending. Now can someone explain to me why this is happening in this way? Why is it pending? What is the bid waiting for? There are still over 5 days left in this "Online bidding" of items, and before I go any further, I have to understand how this works, and to make matters worse, why did I use an absentee bid page to do this which even confused me more?

Help someone! Please? This is driving me absolutely crazy as it makes no sense at all.

Thanks in advance,
gb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:42 pm 

Gregg, I believe the reason you are reading BID PENDING, is that the auctioneer has signed up and MUST approve all bidders before your bid kicks in. That means if the auctioneer does not go back to his home section and approve you ,your bid will never show up. Yes, it is a protection for the auctioneer BUT they MUST pay close attention when bids come in so they can respond. In this case approve you as a bidder. Ken

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:33 pm 

Greg
In addition to Ken's explanation, I might point out that the "Absentee Bid" reference is used regardless of whether it is "online only" or actually an "absentee bid" that will be utilized at a live auction. To make separate data bases and different wording, would only utilize more server resources, so AZ just allows the auctioneer the choice of notating which method is being used.

In any case, it only the wording of the form, so don't let that concern you. If it's stated as "online", then you are only competing against other online bids. Once the auctioneer authorizes your bid, you will see it show up.

With 5 days to go, the auctioneer may not be keeping a real close eye on it, but as it gets closer to the final closing, he will probably be a bit more responsive.

Jim Ford
Professional Auctioneer & Auction Marketing for the 21st Century

http://www.t-na.com
281-479-7848

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:18 am 

Call the auctioneer!

Lyn Liechty, Auctioneer
http://www.lynliechty.com