AuctionZip Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:28 pm
Visit AuctionZip.com for
Live Auctions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:32 am 

I've have bid online on several auctions but now I'm going to stop using this site. Most of the time I do not have enough time to ask how much or how shipping is calculated but this last charge is just rediculous to me.

I bought 3 small pottery animals (under 4") and two pottery bowld (5") and for that they calculated $35 in shipping. And this is "in-house" shipping From NC to NM I know, but I have bought table lamps that did not cost this much. This is the biggest problem in this site as I can see it. Its difficult to find out what shipping is in a timely manner, and if you dont find out you will be dissapointed. Much of the time its not worth the bid.

I find $35 for such a small box a bit nuts - wish there was some way to review your transactions.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:57 pm 

You had a bad experience with one auction, so you are not going to use AuctionZip ?

You really said it yourself -- Before you bid anywhere that will involve shipping, you really need to make the time to figure out some idea of what charges will be. If you do not, you will continue to feel scammed.

The $35 does seem a bit high if the package size was maybe like 12x12x12, 2 pounds (? - just guessing) but you must realize, YOU were not there in person to take the items. Instead, you had to rely on someone having to secure them after the sale, wrap them carefully and pack them into a box, prepare the mailing label and do the shipping. This is a case of paying an agent to do something for you. This person is an auction staffer and is not working for free. This is like paying a "handling" charge on Amazon or any of the other online merchants.

Then there is the shipping charge - it must include insurance, which is not free. If they used a courier (UPS or Fedex) that is more expensive than USPS as a rule.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:10 pm 

You have said it all Jane, a perfect response.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:04 pm 

Thank you, Ken. One of these days we will get back to your auction!

I suppose because the packing was "in house" a bidder may have mistakenly thought that anything other than postage might be "free." I much prefer to pay the auction staffer a fee to carefully handle the items I have won when I can't be present.

I can compare the absentee bidder situation to parents going out for the evening and hiring a babysitter to care for their kids when they can't be there to do it themselves. The babysitter certainly deserves to be paid! So should anyone who does something for you when you can't be present to do it yourself.

In my experience in-house shipping is preferable (but I can understand why some auctions have gotten away from it, and have courier services do it for them) because it's in the best interest of the auction to have your items arrive safely and include what you actually won. If packing/shipping is done by a service you risk a low-level employee who may not understand how to pack correctly and could care less, so you may be missing an item(s) or your package arrives damaged with contents broken.