AuctionZip Forum
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:24 am
Visit AuctionZip.com for
Live Auctions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:23 am 

I just found this disclaimer in every auction lot shown in an online auction catalog:

"Due to the large volume of [[models and other pieces with lots of parts]] being sold we are not liable for any damage or missing parts that may occur during the auction or shipping process."

WOW - they expect someone to bid on their items, yet refuse to be responsible for damage or theft, even though successful online bidders have no way whatsoever to protect the lots they win? I certainly am not going to consider even bidding in the first place, if the item I receive indeed might be broken, damaged or missing parts and not as shown in the auction pictures. This auctioneer must have had some problems during past previews, or he would not be posting this sort of disclaimer.

At least at a live, in-person auction where it's announced that "Once it's sold, it's yours and we are not responsible for it" you have the option of grabbing it and taking it to your seat or your vehicle.

Auctioneers selling in online auctions should have a duty to distant bidders to ensure that the items on which they bid and won will be received in the same condition as shown (barring shipping damage incurred en route). Anyone present in the auction house can look everything over at the last instant and make sure nothing is broken or missing. Unfortunately, anyone bidding in an online auction can't do that, and instead is forced to depend on the trustworthiness and integrity of the auction house to protect the goods.

Auctioneers should think about this additional layer of trust involved, and be grateful enough for the additional competition online bidders provide that they will take some extra steps to protect winning bidders who can't do it for themselves.

At least the auctioneer quoted above was being totally honest, but I will recommend to friends to avoid his sales -- it won't be worth the aggravation if there is a problem, and it is clear that he doesn't appreciate the additional bidding competition enough to ensure that the lots winners receive will match what is shown in the auction photos and description.

I recently posted about being the victim of a thief who likely during preview stole the important pieces from a multi-piece group, in an auction in which I had left an absentee bid (not an online auction). My package arrived missing the only two pieces of any value from the group that was shown in the auction pictures. I'm sure the auctioneer was not to blame and this was out-and-out theft, but I was in an incredibly awkward position because I could not prove that I had not stolen the pieces myself (my husband brought the box home and opened it, rather than opening it right at the post office in front of the clerk); and, worse, the auctioneer apparently had not checked the lot against his photos before packing and mailing it. Lesson learned !! I will be reminding auctioneers in the future to check the item they are shipping to avoid any possible problems like this.

I can't keep myself from laughing about the people who a few years ago were crowing about how online internet auctions would make dinosaurs of in-person live auctions. Well, somehow I can't believe that is going to happen -- I am sure that tales of woe burned bidders tell their friends are the worst kind of advertising for online auctions. And now it seems we are beginning to see auctions in which a winning bidder will have no recourse because it states in essence right in the listing, "We will not be responsible for anything because your bid doesn't mean enough to us to do so."

"I'm not an auctioneer - I've just come to appreciate the good ones !"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:38 am 

J. Silverman.

I sat through a 16 hr auction around the 2nd week of December and it was a fiasco. From skipping lots I had waited hours to bid on, to not including Lots I had won on my invoice, and I saw it happening and immediately tried calling during the auction. To have won at a price of say 10 dollars but getting charged the 25 dollar starting bid they were having to drop because no one was bidding. So when they hit 5 or 10 I won the Lots, but they were not included on my invoice.
Then SHIPPING. What another fiasco!! I read the auctioneer company shipping policy that said to use THEIR own local company. Contact them, gave their names, and number. Just one company he allowed. Then I also read the one from Auctionzip and at this point confused as to which one was going to be correct in my case. You have the auctioneer company, or who holds the goods, then you have Auctionzip who does what? Run the actually bidding and online auction?
So, I get charged incorrectly on a few items (I kept detailed notes), it went on for 16 hrs, and I am disabled, they skipped 20 lots at one time, and I had some I bid on and won that were completely missing from my invoice. So then, I try the day of the auction sending emails to clarify the shipping but never got anything back from either company. So, my first auction online, I am excited, nice gifts for family members and I do not have to pay someone 27 an hour to take me to shop, the help wrap etc. So, then I send a copy of my reciept the first time to the shipping company told by the auctioneers company to use, and I got a price back of 600 to 750 dollars~~ Good lord, all of my items only came to 300 dollars, nothing big, alot of small stuff, and some glass yes. It was explained it was delivered freight, like to a business and did I have a unloading dock. I am, well no, I live at the very end of a small culdesac in a house. Wheww....by now I am devastated to think I am loosing not only many Christmas presents, donated to my charity by buying from this Company, but also got some things for myself! I am freight?? I have to say that the shipping company was very nice and a man did email me back and say he could probably get it down around 450 dollars and they do not really have people that like work at a UPS store who for minimum wage go and pack up boxes and mail them USPS. So, Now I am getting this new view on how all this works. Forget someone like me who is buying for herself, this is just for big money people who are buying big ticket items to be hauled to their business where they must have big antique stores and such so they can get their own show on TV right? At the first email from the shipping company for 600 to 750, I cc'd the auctioneer company who had the items (I guess, who knows Auctionzip could all be owned by the same person, and the shipping company for all I know) and saidthere was no way I was paying that much for shipping when I knew at a max it would cost probably 250 USPS. So, I gave up everything, alot of my close family members, including my grandchildren did not get their Christmas presents from me. So through all the confusing Auctioneer, then AuctionZip, each having different shipping companies and prices, and a auction that went on, confirmed by the Auctioneer, far too long for ANYONE. I had a horrible Christmas. I could not change out auctioneers to go pee or eat like they could, I had to sit here all day and through the night. :/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:19 pm 

Brenda, anything that could have gone wrong did go wrong, it certainly sounds like. You have my utmost sympathy.

I have no way to help other than to advise that you start by calling AuctionZip and ask them some of the same questions:
their office phone number is (814) 623-5059

Many auction houses do have specific shippers, but often will offer a choice. I am wondering if because of the time of year the shipper had temps working who were less than professional.

I am so sorry this worked out this way for you, and planned Christmas gifts, no less. What a shame!!

Just found out that AuctionZip apparently is including a "shipping estimator" in its online auctions: http://auctionzipontheblock.blogspot.com/

I did look online about how big/how heavy shipments must be to be charged as "freight" and here is what UPS says. It's possible some larger items drove the shipment into "freight" just because of their size (example, if you bought say 4 large lamp shades!!) :

UPS has established specific weight and size limits for the packages that you send with all UPS services. The restrictions below only pertain to individual packages. There are no limits to the total weight of your shipment or the total number of packages in your shipment. Shipments larger than the limits listed below will require the use of our UPS Freight services.

Packages can be up to 150 lbs (70 kg).
Packages can be up to 165 inches (419 cm) in length and girth combined.
Packages can be up to 108 inches (270 cm) in length.
Packages with a large size-to-weight ratio require special pricing and dimensional weight calculations.

"I'm not an auctioneer - I've just come to appreciate the good ones !"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:01 am 

And BEWARE of STOLEN GOODS! I bought a guitar March 12th, paid the invoice, researched online and found a picture of what appeard to be an identical guitar on a Rickenbacker website. Thinking I could get some information about it while waiting for it to arrive I registered for the website and posted a PM to the OP about the guitar. The OP responded the guitar had been stolen and after emailing back and forth with the auction house, INTERNATIONAL ACTION GALLERY of ANAHEIM, CA., I find that I am out my money and a cool guitar(not mine but I could have bid on another).

SO, BEWARE BEFORE YOU BID. ASK IF IT IS STOLEN! OR IF THEY DON'T KNOW, ASKL WHAT THEIR POLICY IS IF THE ITEM IS FOUND TO BE STOLEN

http://www.auctionzip.com/auction-lot/A ... 144F96877/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:16 am 

Yes buyer beware of online auctions. There are good ones and bad ones, just like live auctions . There is no regulation for online auctions and there needs to be.