It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:00 pm
Visit AuctionZip.com for
Live Auctions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Auctioneer Fees
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:00 pm 

Ed Roumillat wrote:
Dayson Engels wrote:
their reputation is on the line with every sale.

This is exactly why I insist not to publish my name or introduce me as anything other than "the auctioneer". I have conducted some great charity auctions. Most have gone very well but a couple were miss managed and guess who gets the blame! "The Auctioneer".

Lyn: I have to say I am a bit surprised with your statement about an auctioneer has more incentive to work harder for a %. I don't believe you would work any harder for % than you would for free.....at a fund raiser. Love you man!

I think you got me! I started thinking about the benefit auction I have done for the past fourteen years. All for a good meal and a whole lot of thank you's. I probably work harder at that auction than just about anything else and I am always looking forward to it. I think because the crowd knows me so well and interacts with me so well.

Lyn Liechty, Auctioneer
http://www.lynliechty.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:10 pm 

I charge different ways for different size foundation. A big foundation likes a Flat Fee because they can put it in their budget when they go to the BOD to get approval for the thousands that you are charging them so they can have your check ready that night and contrary to popular belief big foundations have money.

Medium size you can go either way. I try to encourage a flat fee with a sliding scale if a certain monitary goal is reached.

Small foundations I like to use a percentage with because they usually do not have the money and most generally you are getting paid out of the auction proceeds that night.

There is always more than one way to skin a cat and I like to keep my options open.

Event and Benefit Auction Company
Contract Auctioneer
Horses & Cattle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:40 pm 

Hello All,

Thank you for each of your input on this topic. As a professional Benefit Auctioneer, I have struggled with what to charge and how much. Thankfully, I have been able to reach out to others in my profession to get some advice.

I have began to offer two options. First, I offer a flat rate plus commission. I do this by asking the organization, what the goal is for the event. My flat rate is based on that amount, then if we exceed the goal of the event, I receive a percentage of the overage. This allows the organization to know the base amount upfront, and then when and if the goal is exceeded, it becomes a win-win situation. The second way I offer to get paid is to have the organization add a specific buyer's premium. If the organization chooses this option, I make it very clear that they must advertise and put it in print so that everyone is aware.

Toney Thornhill
A Higher Calling Benefit Auctions
http://www.highercallingba.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:36 am 

Wow. This is an old thread.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:02 am 

Flat fee is more appropriate for fundraising since the auctioneer is not handling the merchandise and responsible for it through the process. He usually is acting 50% as entertainment and 50% as the price-maker, but in almost all cases employed for evening of event and possibly a couple planning meetings.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:13 pm 

I use a different approach all together. I try to limit my charity sales to organizations whose cause I support and I typically don't charge them anything to do it. My reasoning is that if it's a cause I support then I'm not interested in draining off any of the proceeds for my services. But I make the following stipulations:

It has to be a half hour drive or less.

No more than 10 items. (And no I don't care if one of your primary benefactors is internationally known for her hand crocheted afghans so could we please have 11 items?)

A ticket to the event. On rare occasions my wife will want to attend so I may hold out for two tickets.

For insistent callers that I'm not overly enthused with it's all of the above plus $200.00.

Years ago I found that if you are even remotely competent you will soon be receiving calls from places you can't pronounce for causes you've never heard of. Once we started having kids I scaled it waaaaay back.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:59 pm 

I think the ideal number of live auction lots for a fundraising sale is about 50. It seems like 5-10 lots are needed just to get a crowd warmed up. If they call us with 10 lots we help them do it with a silent auction. If they have much more than 50 items we would have silent auction tables that are closed shortly before the live auction starts- with tables staggered a few minutes apart to help build the excitement.

My favorite fundraising auction rules: 1) Never turn over the mike to someone in the group to "talk up" an item. 2) End the auction by 9pm.