AuctionZip Forum
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:48 pm
Visit AuctionZip.com for
Live Auctions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:34 am 

I suppose I totally misread what your orginally posted, but it sure sounded a lot different to me than what you are now saying.

The important point that I know we both agree on is to always double check information from any source with the appropriate professionals.

Lyn Liechty, Auctioneer
http://www.arealauction.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:35 am 

Lyn & Jim,

I think you guys both hit the nail on the head and always check with an expert.

I would like to say that there is a difference in the perception of the organization if you charge them & donate it back rather than just giving your services for free. When someone has to actually pay for something, there is a real value put on it in their minds as well.

Jason

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:47 am 

Well Jason, you may want to read my previous post again. While I agree with your assessment of folks understanding the value, if they actually have to pay... it's a lot of trouble for nothing, when it comes to tax time. Of course, if you don't have enough deductions on your Schedule A, which exceeds the Standard Deduction, then you will still be paying taxes on the income earned and get no benefit from the "deduction" (which still going to equal zero, even if you do have a lot of deductions).

So, unless you're trying to show them a "value", with the intent of increasing your fee in the future, without donating it all back, then you may as well just volunteer your time and forget the paper trail that is required.

Jim Ford
Professional Auctioneer & Auction Marketing for the 21st Century

http://www.t-na.com
281-479-7848

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:01 am 

Jim,

I agree with forming a paper trail that doesn't need to exist. Truly not worth it. I'm thinking more about any referrals that might come about from organization A. If they are talking with colleagues at another organization and mention that you do their auction for free, then organization B would expect the same thing. I don't mind doing the auction at my kids school for free, (now that I think of it, my wife and I actually buy the dinner), but I don't want to be doing this type of work for free for other groups.

I actually do form the paper trail at my sons school for this reason. There are several private schools in Kansas City and almost all of them have some sort of auction during the year. I am not that interested in pursuing them, but if my name gets to them I will talk to them about doing their auctions, but not for free.

Jason

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:22 pm 

quality auction having a benefit auction march 6 1911 at 2 pm at miss kittys hilltop lounge 504 broad st brooksville fl.
for two police officer that was shot down in st petersburg fl. to help out we need your support help in the the way of
donations of gift certificates and merchandies or cash we can be contact at 352-796-3475-or 727-243-2666-charlie puett
thank e need your help.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:45 pm 

HI CHARLIE PUETT QUALITY AUCTION HUDSON FL 34669 727-243-2666 I AM HAVING A BIG BENEFIT AUCTION
AT MISS KITTY S HILLTOP LOUNG BROOSKVILLE FL, 504 BROD ST 34601 352-796-3475 FOR THE TWO POLICE
OFFICER THAT WAS SHOT DOWN IN ST PETERSBURG FL, WE WOOD LIKE TO DO WHAT WE CAN DO DO HELP
MARCH 6,1911 AT 2PM WE NEED YOUR HELP WITH GIFE CERTIFICATES AND MERCHANDISE AND AND OR CASH
PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN GOD BLESS THANK YOU CHARLIE

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:20 am 

Dang, Charlie I missed it...I wasn't around in 1911

http://WWW.JERSEYCOUNTYAUCTIONS.COM

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:26 am 

:o :o :o :o
Richard
Scorpion Auctions

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:51 pm 

The way we broke in was offering our service for free in the beginning to groups like DU, RME, FNRA and then it went out from there and expanded to churches and schools and other groups. Once you build up a demand then you can begin charging if you choose and may all but have to. Now we get 350 to 500 every sale we do and we do about 30 to 40 per year and at one point were doing 50 to 60 per year. When ever you see a charity doing a sale just give them a call and see if they need someone.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:00 pm 

Hypothetically if I were to take it upon myself to do a benefit / charity Auction with the Proceeds to go to (XYZ) would I then have to apply for a 501c(3). Or if they are a 501c(3) then am I covered???
And If I am paid out of those funds say $100 do I need a receipt or 1099 for from (XYZ) ?????

Jack A. Briggs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next