AuctionZip Forum
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:26 am
Visit AuctionZip.com for
Live Auctions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Public Storage
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:17 am 

Public Storage company holds unit auctions in most if not all states across America. These sales are held about every month. At one time (because I been attending these sales for many years now) the sales where auctioned off by non-licensed auctioneers generally their managers. It may be different now. though there are still problems.
I was slammed on another thread asking of you think consignment auctioneers get over, but probably the auctioneer who really gets over is the Public Storage managers esp. the dishonest ones, as they have the power to publically list what items are in the units, also conduct the auction. Managers here and at other self-storage chains tend to have high turn over rates, and many will keep the job for a good six months before moving on.
Some of the powers these managers have is describing the items and listing them in newspaper. Descide rather to have auction, or pass it. Can move trash from other left over units into one and sell that at auction. Remove 'best' items from the units just prior to sale. Sell unit at auction then hold for original owner if they have all delinquent funds. Accept bribe or pass unit, write low amount on the sheet, then pocket the money from selling to a buyer. And can pass unit if he thinks it is selling for too little. Or put a reserve on.

Post subject: Re: Public Storage
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:36 am 

You may think the manger playing the role of auctioneer hurts the bidders, it only hurts the storage company. I have been to so many storage auctions where the manger does it. Yum yum it is time to steal. They don't advertise correctly and if they did something crooked in the past all the real buyers don't go out of their way to come back to their auction. You can burn people one time and they don't forget.

I went to one where the manger set high reserves. Next auction I was the only one to show up. Bought 5 good units for $100.

Most mangers are less crooked than they are clueless.

And trust me if you aren't an auctioneer you know close to nothing about bid calling. Just like anyone can build a dog house, but that doesn't make you a contractor.

I think you annoyed people in the other forum because it is painfully obvious you are not an Auctioneer, but a bidder that think he knows how auctions work almost as good as an auctioneer. Trust me till you have called several real auction you don't have a clue. And calling the chairty auction at the yatch club is not a real auction. Take away the happy booze and money and replace it with greed and tight pockets them you have a real auction.lol I think every auctioneer has one know-it-all in the crowd that loves to quote the laws incorrectly and than after the auction drop jewels of knowledge on the auctioneer on how he could be rich if he listen to their brilliant ideas. Again trust me their ideas stink.lol

Now in your defense their are a lot of auctioneers that don't understand bidders. lol

I have seen auctioneers that don't know the differance between a tag sale and an auction. If over 20% of you items are not reaching there reserve, your having a glorified tag sale. You might even make out good one time, but the bidders aren't coming back. And lets face it only 100-200 people in any town are your real bidders. If you piss them off you might as well have a tag sale and haul the left overs to the dump.

Best of luck hope you have fun an enjoy all the auctions you go to. No offense ment by my random comments.

RM

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:47 pm 

Good, atleast you dont treat me like a novice on the NAA board. Because they make it seem like there is no such thing as an auctioneer under the age of 50!
First and foremost, It'll be good if storage sales, (not storage auctions) started on time as advertised. Real auctions are what I like, no reserve and no set price. --when I sell on eBay 99% of items I start at 99cents with no reserve.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:02 pm 

ken gholar wrote:
Good, atleast you dont treat me like a novice on the NAA board. Because they make it seem like there is no such thing as an auctioneer under the age of 50!
First and foremost, It'll be good if storage sales, (not storage auctions) started on time as advertised. Real auctions are what I like, no reserve and no set price. --when I sell on eBay 99% of items I start at 99cents with no reserve.

If you check the laws, a RESERVE auction IS a REAL AUCTION. In fact, the law states that ALL AUCTIONS ARE CONSIDERED TO BE "WITH RESERVE", unless OTHERWISE advertised as Absolute. (YES, this also applies to storage lien auctions, as well.)

On Ebay, if you start your item at 99 cents, then THAT IS your reserve.
This is one of those misunderstandings about auctions, as well... I'll often see someone start a "high end" item at $99 or $299, etc. and then indicate in their heading and/or description that it's a "NO RESERVE" auction! It doesn't matter if you start it at 99 cents or $99, that is the minimum starting price, i.e. "reserve". The only way you could have a "no reserve" auction on Ebay, would be to start the bidding at 1 cent.

I don't understand your comments about "no such thing as an auctioneer under the age of 50" or "novice on the NAA board". Please explain.

I must note that you aren't any more aware of the laws that cover Storage Lien sales, anymore than you demonstrated you minimal knowledge of general auction laws, in your previous posts. It appears that you are only trying to find fault with anything in the auction industry that doesn't meet your own limited views. You views doesn't mean you're right, if you don't understand he intent of the laws.

From your posts, it seems that you think almost everyone is dishonest... everyone is out to screw you over.

While there are a FEW storage managers that may be dishonest, and may go through the units and take items (which is stealing), the majority of them comply with the laws. They are not "getting over" on anyone, either. They are only trying to get their money due them, and get the unit cleared out, so they can't rent it again. Of course, if the sells for more than is owed, they have to send the difference to the OWNER of the goods. Of course, if YOU were the owner, and found yourself out of a job, lost your house, put everything you had in storage... in the hopes of getting back on your feet and into a new home, BUT your luck didn't get any better... NOW, ALL OF YOUR STUFF is being sold under storage lien laws... YOU would probably be crying about how dishonest those people were, "stealing your stuff".

I've bought many of these units over the years. And while I'm in business to make money, it still causes me to think about the poor folks who just lost their life's possessions, usually due to some unfortunate circumstances in their life.

So, if the storage manager puts a reserve on a particular unit, it may be due to a variety of reasons... whether they are hoping to get a minimum of what they are owed, or whether they may have got a call with a promise to pay and if it doesn't meet the minimum, then give the owner another chance to claim their property or any number of other reasons... they are within their rights to do so.

By the same token, there are no requirements for a storage manager to sell the unit. They can wait forever, if they wish, for the owner to pay their debt. The law is only there to give the storage manager the "OPTION", and there are specific laws they have to comply with prior to selling the contents of the units. From my experience, 99% of them are quite honest and comply with ALL of the laws.

Ken... you need to "get over" your "victim" mentality and quit finding fault and blaming everyone for what you think it wrong. It may be that it's YOU that is WRONG.

Jim Ford
Professional Auctioneer & Auction Marketing in the 21st Century

http://www.t-na.com
281-479-7848

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:21 pm 

Ken,

Regarding the Public Storage Company's use of their managers, this is perfectly legal under state statues. In very, very brief summary (foregoing a dissertation on state laws), by the time the property goes to auction the storage facility technically owns the property and therefore an "owner" can sell their property without an auctioneer's license. Managers (most of them ex-fast food restaurant employees....can I have side of fries with that?) are agents for the storage facility (owner).

Yes, there are scams in the business. Set up lockers, bribery, favoritism and skimming. Bottomline, you may get a manager fired ultimately but they can make your life a living hell (public insults, ejecting you, fouling up the paperwork, etc.) if you plan on attending their auctions in the future. Remember you catch more flies with sugar than you do vinegar.

I used to conduct storage locker auctions and I also bought storage lockers. Bottomline once again, most of the time it was an awful lot of work for very little in return. Once in a great while, there can be a real score, but those opportunities are few and far between.

I hope this helps.

Tom

View our upcoming auctions: http://www.auctionzip.com/WA-Auctioneers/271.html

Last edited by Tom DiNardo: ISA-AM on Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:24 am 

This coment is not to offend anyone but it is aimed at ken gholar, I trust a persons word if I can look him in the eye when talking to him/her :shock: and they can look me in the eye when they are talking to me. So if your posted picture is any indication of the way you opperate then maybe you need to take a look at yourself. Just an observation. :o

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:08 pm 

I didn't want to say anything, but since Bob Dunker did then I will also say that I really don't care for that picture. Something about it annoys me.

Now I probably just guaranteed myself that Santa will leave a lump of coal in my stocking on Christmas Eve! :(

Lyn Liechty, Auctioneer
http://www.lynliechty.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:15 pm 

Lyn, I went ahead and posted it because my wife knows santa personally and said i was already guarenteed a lump of coal.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:48 pm 

Ok, I'm lost! I have no idea what Bob and Lyn are talking about regarding a picture. Will someone clarify.

*** Hi James, Thanks for the clarification about Ken's profile picture. I think it's a Japanese anime, hentai or manga pic. ****

Whoa, here's some interesting news! Hold your cursor over Ken's profile pic and right click, then select properties, and the following URL is revealed - http://www.gholar.com/_private/chinadoll.jpg. :?

But wait it get's better. Now copy and paste "www.gholar.com" into Google and see what comes up. Oh you nasty man (LOL)! A search of Ken Gholar also proves entertaining. Information on classmates.com, mad inventor (muwahahaaaa), or member of the 1960's funk-soul band the Vontastics - good sounds to be found on you tube
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApqHTcHf7W0). :o

I just right clicked on my pic and selected properties. Thank God. Time for a cold shower and a glass of ice with a shot of Jack. :mrgreen:

View our upcoming auctions: http://www.auctionzip.com/WA-Auctioneers/271.html

Last edited by Tom DiNardo: ISA-AM on Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:47 pm, edited 13 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:50 pm 

I not only found the picture to be somewhat annoying, but his posts, as well. At least, they both seem to fit together.

Jim Ford
Professional Auctioneer & Auction Marketing for the 21st Century

http://www.t-na.com
281-479-7848