AuctionZip Forum
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:37 pm
Visit AuctionZip.com for
Live Auctions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Info
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:35 am 

Hey out there...
I am currently working for a local auctioneer in my area,have been for about 5 years. He does several car auctions a week. I have asked for him to try to get me into to one or two, but nothing yet. Just wondered if anyone had any advice on trying to get into them or another way to try.

Post subject: Re: Info
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:15 am 

Hi Scott,

I read your post. By "getting into them", I am assuming that you being the auctioneer or a ring man right? I'm a little confused as you had mentioned that you had worked for an auctioneer for five that is doing car auctions.

If you are talking about working for another auto auctioneer, then my advice is let them try you out for the day. No risk to either party. If they like then they will bring you back. This worked for me when I worked for the Manheim Auto Auction Company.

View our upcoming auctions: http://www.auctionzip.com/WA-Auctioneers/271.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:39 pm 

Hey
I assume you work for an auctioneer that owns his own auction co and freelances on the side for auto auctions.

I live in GA and in Atlanta are all the bigger auctions ... We have a small auto auction in Macon.

I tried to get on the auction circuit for several years ... I mean 2 or three bigger auctions per week ... Like manheim.

There is always a list of people in line a mile long. Generally the auctioneers that are successful and keep their gig a while has some influence on the next man in line. There are a certain amount of politics involved.

If you have never worked at auto auctions like this ... Beat the bushes- even try to get in as a ringman ... Sooner or later you will get an opportunity to prove yourself as an auctioneer.

I don't know about now, but 10 years ago auctioneers working the circuit in Atlanta were making $450-500 per auction. It's good money ... But it can be a lot of pressure. What I mean is that there are plenty of people trying to get in as auctioneers and all you have to do is have a couple big name car dealers complain to management and you'll be looking for another gig. Some of them will complain merely because their competitor wins all the cars ... In their bidding contest ... So it must be the auctioneers fault.

I tried to get in for several years and finally some guy called me one day and asked me would I be interested in trying out for an exotic car auction . He called early that morning on the same day as the auction ... Atlanta is a two hour drive and I don't know anything about exotic cars so I declined and that's the end of that.

So if any of this post is screwy ... Bear with me, I am posting from my phone

Keep trying and good luck ... But have a dynamic personality especially at a dealer only auction.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:30 pm 

Its a tough job to get with the economy the way it is now..

Benefit Auctioneer