Selling at auction to the highest bidder, this wonderfully preserved home offers modern comforts while providing a charming glimpse into the past.
Known as "The Cook House" this wonderfully restored home was part of the original Pruitt Plantation.
A carefully preserved walk through history from the original home circa 1790 to the Colonial / Greek expansion circa 1846 to its modern state with conveniences such as kitchen, baths, and central heat and air (dual zone heat pump)
3,512 sq.ft. with 3 bedrooms (1 main level, 2 upstairs) and 2 full baths (1 main level, 1 upstairs)
Five fireplaces throughout the home with well-preserved original mantels.
Heart pine floors
The north parlor features wide paneling cut from a single tree
Stenciling replicated from Moses Eaton patterns and other local historic patterns
Beautiful slate roof in excellent condition
Home is privately situated on 25 acres with pastures and fields in the front and beautiful woods behind the home
Old cemetery behind home enclosed in a beautiful stacked stone wall
Just one mile from Main St Brookneal, 40min to Lynchburg, 40min to Danville, and 2hrs to Richmond
The home sits on 25 private acres of the original estate yet is just over a mile from the quaint Main St of Brookneal. As you approach the home, fenced pastures line the right hand side of the drive. Closer to the home a field opens to the left as you enter the circular drive and finally see the stately home. The sidewalk is lined with mature boxwoods and shaded by an old holly tree. As you approach the house, the magnificent hexastyle Greek Revival porch stands out with it's Doric columns, quarried stone foundation, and welcoming front door with sidelights topped with stained glass.
The oldest portion of the home was built by Michael Pruitt in the mid to late 1700's. Today this portion of the home is the kitchen but it retains the original woodwork, mantel, fireplace, and pie step stairway to an upstairs room. The property was sold to Thomas Scott and then to the Nowlin Family. During this time the Colonial addition that is currently the north parlor was added. The property with 1,147 acres was purchased by William H. Cook who commissioned the Greek Revival expansion adding the south parlor and central hall. Since then, a main level bedroom addition was added, bathrooms added and updated, and central heating and cooling installed.
Sunday, Oct.9 from 1-3
Sunday, Oct.16 from 1-3
Wednesday, Oct.19 from 12-2
Sunday, Oct.23 from 1-3
Day of sale beginning at 11:30am
or by appointment
Auctioneer License Information: VAAF501
Auction Listings provided by AuctionZip.com. Although the information published herein is from sources deemed reliable, AuctionZip.com expressly disclaims any liability for errors, omissions or changes regarding any information provided for this auction. Potential buyers are urged to verify auction date, time, and content directly through the auctioneer's website or by contacting the auctioneer directly. The terms and conditions of the auction may or may not be published in this listing. ALL TERMS AND CONDITIONS AND OTHER ANNOUNCEMENTS MADE THE DAY OF THE AUCTION ARE BINDING AND TAKE PRECEDENCE OVER ANY INFORMATION FOUND HEREIN.