AuctionZip Forum
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:16 pm
Visit AuctionZip.com for
Live Auctions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:10 am 

Hello -

I'm doing a little research for an article about the auction industry (specifically antiques / collectibles) and I was wondering if anyone could share some resources I could use like trade publications, industry Web sites, etc. that could help answer questions like how big the industry is (in dollars), how it's been affected by the Web and more.

Additionally, if any of you are willing to share personal experiences, have you used eBay to sell? If not, why not? Other than Auctionzip, do you use any other online venues? I'm interested to hear your opinions about online auctions and understand the pros/cons so anything you are willing to share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Julie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:29 pm 

Julie
I am always skeptical of someone that asks for information, yet does not provide anything about who they are and who they represent. While you claim that you are writing an article, I would want to know where this article is going to be published and the how the context of the information would be utilized. In other words, if you're writing to demonstrate that your particular auction is better than another or method, and only looking for information to support your particular viewpoint, then it wouldn't be a worthwhile effort for the opposition.

I get similar phone calls all the time... purported that they are only doing research for one purpose or another. They do not want to reveal who they really are, or who they are working for, or exactly how and where the information is going to be used. I hang up on them, also.

Now, if someone from USA Today or just a local radio station called, they would typically provide their contact information and would have no problem with verification, as well as how the information was going to be used.

However, anonymous posts on any forum, unverified phone calls, etc. should always be viewed with skepticism... even if the individual claims to be Dan Rather or anyone else.

Jim Ford
Professional Auctioneer & Auction Marketing for the 21st Century

http://www.t-na.com
281-479-7848

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:12 pm 

Julie... here is a link to a study done by the NAA and Morpace which may answer many of your questions:

http://www.exclusivelyauctions.com/system/data/forms/2007-stats.pdf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:37 am 

Thanks Steve. The information you provided was very helpful.

For the purposes of full disclosure, I am a freelance writer who has recently been introduced to the antiques business during my recovering from an illness. I guess that in some cases, when you're faced with your own vulnerabilities, you come to appreciate "things" that have stood the test of time. Anyway, it's a very fragmented industry and success has come in many forms, so I have taken it upon myself to try and pull some history together. Obviously, auctioneers play a historical and VITAL role in the evolution of the antiques business so it's imperative that I do my "homework" and cover this venue. Like most freelancers, I will likely "shop" the piece to publishing houses (some of which I have long-standing contacts) but I will also post on the Web via Squidoo or another informational site so that all can benefit from my findings.

While I appreciate your skepticism James, I see it from the other side of the coin: like most writers, I limit information requests because you often open the floodgates to individuals wanting to promote their own businesses and it becomes difficult to accomplish your original story intent. I hope this provides you with the information you seek and encourages you share recommended resources so that we can all benefit from a "big picture" view of the antiques / vintage industry. Thanks to all who help.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:14 pm 

Julie Law wrote:
Julie Law wrote:
Thanks Steve. The information you provided was very helpful. .......
While I appreciate your skepticism James, ..........to accomplish [my] original story intent. Thanks to all who help.

I understand James' original point and if the information received is to help competition to get a leg up then I guess I understand James' position as well. I personally don't have a problem with sharing most anything with fellow auctioneers, or writers for that matter, but your original intent is to make $$ selling your book and I am very pleased to see you let us all know that. Good for you! BTW A problem I see most with books or articles is the author usually writes such a generic story that it is hard for the reader to justify buying the book. I want to see some hard information such as references to specific dealers, auctions, or other useful info. A good example is price guides and other referance books that don't show the reader any information specific to the item such as photos of the makers mark etc. Most of the time only the first 20 pages from guides of 300 pages are useful in that is where many hard references are made. Best Regards ED

Regards, Ed Roumillat
Charleston, SC
er @ a-a.com
WWW.A-A.COM

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:02 am 

Hello Julie,

I would suggest that you check out AntiqueWeek newspaper. I would be gald to send you some sample copies. You can search complete back issues from the previous two years on our website at http://www.antiqueweek.com, and if you want to contact me or the managing editor Connie Swaim, we would be glad to answer any question that you may have. Also we are always looking for good writers to freelance for us. I can be reached at tony@antiqueweek.com or at 1-800-876-5133.

Thanks,
Tony

Tony Gregory
Associate Publisher
AntiqueWeek