AuctionZip Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:53 pm
Visit AuctionZip.com for
Live Auctions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:38 pm 

Well, since I decide to add my comments, I notice there have been other posts. However, I will not take the time to address those additional comments in this post and will post it as it stands.
So, in regards to the earlier post:
david child wrote:
Um....when did I state that eBay was running auctions? If I remember correctly, I stated that they hold the position that they merely host the events, much the same as a "traditional" auction being hosted at the County Fairgrounds. No one requires the Fairgrounds to become a licensed auctioneer, so why should eBay be required to do so?

Now, if a State thinks that the sellers on eBay are acting as auctioneers and must be licensed, then so be it. I have no problem with that. I don't see it happening because the occasional auctioneer, such as myself, won't become licensed, and so eBay loses almost all of its member base! That's why they are so resistant to licensing for its members! And I think I stated that is an eBay member makes their living on eBay, then they probably should be licensed like a traditional auctioneer.

The main issue that has been going in this thread is not whether eBay or its members being licensed; it's Lyn's unreasonable notion that one is not an auctioneer unless they have been to auction school or apprenticed with a traditional auctioneer. Please respond to that point, as that is the one that Lyn simply can't grasp!

Well, let's throw it out to the crowd and see what we get:

What is your definition of an auctioneer? What makes one an auctioneer? Is it the training? Must the training be formal (school), informal (apprenticeship, since we don't know the quals of the supervising auctioneer), or can one be self-taught?

Sincerely,
David A. Child, Ph.D.
MM3, USN, USS Caloosahatchee (AO98)

Well, my dear sir, Lyn did provide a very basic synopsis for the qualifications of an auctioneer. Albeit, depending on the state that you wish to ply your profession, will also be a determining factor in the requirements that "makes one an auctioneer". You may also find that if you wish to operate in other states, then you will also have to comply with their specific laws and licensing requirements. In as much, I did offer a basis for this discussion, which is based in getting a sound education. Yet, it appears that you are asking for the requirements to be an auctioneer, yet it appears that you wish to have someone else do your homework for you. No matter, I will attempt to provide a short course for you.

First, you should have some basis of knowledge in general practices and the laws governing all facets. This is not only for your own utilization in running your own business, but to also understand the laws that affect the way you handle the sale of other businesses and the laws that must be complied with in order to do so. Just one of those, aside from many other factors, is understanding the Uniform Commercial Code and while there are many facets contained within, just one of the many requirements consists of the notification of lien holders prior to the sale of property, lest you be also held responsible.

You should also understand the many other laws concerning items that may be sold (or not) and stipulations that may be required and that may encompass, EPA, Agriculture & Livestock, Wildlife, Game & Endangered Species, Real Estate, Titled Equipment, Vehicles & Boats, Food & Drugs, Liquor & Cigarettes, Medical Equipment, Cosmetics, Salvage, Liens & Unclaimed Goods,
Firearms, Artifacts, FTC regulations (they also have lists of recalled or unsafe items that you should not sell), and this is just a brief overview. In fact, there is a book that was put together for Texas Licensed Auctioneers consisting of over 1650 pages that provide a basic overview of the laws consisting of Auctioneer Licensing & Regulations and the Associated Laws that we must keep up with. Just the Table of Contents consists of 18 pages, in itself. Feel free to download it and have a look for yourself: http://www.license.state.tx.us/auc/greenbook.pdf. (the quiz is on Friday)

As I said, the above is just a general synopsis of the education that a Professional should have knowledge of in the field of Auctioneering. I have certainly left out quite a bit, in the attempt of brevity. The actual requirements vary from state to state, but regardless of licensing requirements, every state still has laws governing the auction industry and auctioneers must comply with all of them.

In Texas, they require a basic 80 hour course, which provides a the basics of auctioneer laws and an overview of most others, prior to taking a State Supervised Examination, as well as background checks through the FBI, prior to licensing. While it may not seem to be much of a course, an professional will likely spend countless hours in additional education, including business law, such as Anti-Trust, UCC, Bankruptcy, Probate & Wills, Divorce, etc., etc., etc. In addition, they are required 6 hours of CEU credits each year for renewal, which must include law updates, etc. Again, not much, but it is not meant as a full fledged course and it is up to the individual to keep up with every aspect that is required in their business dealings, lest they find themselves paying a lawyer to learn the hard way. So, in some aspect, they are self-taught, but only to a degree, unless they also take it upon themselves to attend accredited courses through a college or university that also covers many of these subjects, not to mention there are some colleges around the country that offer accredited courses towards becoming an auctioneer.

NOW, as far as conducting an occasional auction, in Texas (and many other states) you may conduct no more than two personal auctions per year, without meeting licensing requirements. Note the word "personal", which means you may not sell other peoples items. If you are selling other peoples items, or you conduct more than two personal sales in a year, you are considered to be in business and must meet the requirements of becoming a Licensed Auctioneer. Oh, I almost forgot to mention that you are also required to keep a separate Escrow Account to maintain "other peoples monies", as commingling their funds with your own business or personal funds is a crime.

OK, Class... That's it for this class, any questions?

Jim Ford
Professional Texas Licensed Auctioneer #12478
Texas Real Estate License #0469782
Past Instructor for Diebold, Inc. for over 12 years
Past SSgt U.S. Air Force and Proudly Served in MS, OK, Izmit Turkey, & Monte Virgine Italy for over 6 years and recipient of the U.S. Air Force Commendation Medal.
Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society
ETC. ETC. ETC. <just a few more letters to add to my credentials of idiocy ;)

http://www.t-na.com
281-479-7848

Last edited by James Ford on Tue May 27, 2008 9:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:59 pm 

Davey, my boy... rest assured, I will reply to your conjectures, rants and ardent ramblings, as you certainly have not provided much basis for your own viewpoint.

Just something for you to stew over, in the meantime... since I attended hours upon hours of classes in High School, does that make me qualified to be an Online High School Teacher?

Jim Ford

281-479-7848

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:32 pm 

David,

You say you don't like people belittling others and I believe that was directed toward Jim Ford, yet you have consistently been trying to belittle me and when you referred to Jim Ford as "Jimmie", was that not a form of ridicule or a type of belittling? All because we have apparent differences of opinions.

Is this a case of the pot calling the kettle black?

You claim that I don't believe an auctioneer can be "self taught." What I attempted to say is that to become an auctioneer it is a good idea to attend an auction school and work for an experienced auctioneer. In many states, that is a requirement.

If you had bothered check my history or bothered to ask you might have found out that I am by and large a "self taught" auctioneer. Yes, I went to an auction school, but it was not one of the "name" schools and yes I served an apprenticeship under an experienced auctioneer, but that was a requirement that I had to meet in order to get my Ohio license. Everything else I did on my own, i.e., "self-taught."

A person can try to just stand up in front of a crowd and talk fast and learn the business that way, but they will make a lot of mistakes in the process and that is not a good idea when selling other people's property and handling other people's money.

There are schools that teach auctioneering and they are there for some very good reasons. Why not take advantage of what they have to offer. Most states have licensing requirements and one cannot legally call themselves and represent themselves to the public unless they fulfill those requirements, so that begs the question. How long have you held your Indiana Auctioneers License?

Also, did you teach yourself to be an auctioneer or did you choose to attend an auction school.

Have you joined the Indiana Auctioneers Association? You don't have to for sure, but the experience you can gain by being around other auctioneers seems to me would be beneficial.

You did tell us you are an auctioneer. Of course that was after you told us you were not an auctioneer. I think that might have been before you told us you worked for an auctioneer. Or was that when you said you had worked hundreds of auctions or was that when you indicated you had not? At any rate, if you are indeed an auctioneer, then I have faith that you are a legally licensed auctioneer.

Back to Jim Ford, I am sure you don't like what he tossed your way because it was strong and it was rather harsh, but the way I see it, Jim was just giving you a dose of the same medicine that you have been trying for whatever reason to shove down my throat.

What's that old saying? About being able to "dish it out, but not being able to "take it." Get angry again if you like, but that is how it is looking from my eyes.

One of the best things about this forum was the ability of participants to debate and disagree, yet do it with a certain amount of civility. You sir, have started out argumentative and it just keeps getting nastier and nastier. This is hurting this board and it is not a good thing for you, me or anyone else.

BTW, I am not terribly impressed with your ever expanding resume at the bottom of your post. I could probably match it and many others could surpass it.

Lyn Liechty, Auctioneer

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:31 pm 

:lol: @ this whole thread :lol:

David

You aren't an auctioneer

:shock: :? :| :|

Corbin KY 40701

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:18 am 

ROFLMAO

Rocky Mountain Estate Brokers Inc.
Rocky Mountain Estate Brokers Realty LLC

Professional Auctioneers, Innovative Technologies.

http://www.whitleyauction.com

http://www.rmebrealty.com

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:29 am 

David, Adam's post says it all.

300 B West Madison Avenue
Athens, TN 37303
http://www.ratcliffauction.com
e mail: ratcliffsells@mindspring.com

Phone 1-888-746-0164

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:40 pm 

Dave
You are NOT an auctioneer. You just type stuff into a computer and let the clock run out, hoping people will bid. A trained monkey could do that.

I have had an auction house for over 3 years now. With a lot of real life auctions under my belt I don't think I can call myself a professional auctioneer yet. There is so much more to learn.

The things I have learned, seen and gone through would make the hair on your neck stand up, "online auctioneers" as you call yourself just don't understand.

There is nothing wrong with selling things online and there is a lot of work in doing so. But it is nowhere close to what a real auctioneer does....

Instead of putting these guys down you should learn from them... Get Real... If you cant interact in a positive way with real auctioneers in a chat forum, imagine if you had to deal with real life crowds and clients.....

Greg
Great American Auction House

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:49 pm 

Greg,

It is great to see you on a discussion board. I have been wondering about you and so seeing your posts on the discussion board was like a breath of fresh air.

I am happy that you are still hanging tough. It may seem slow and things may get frustrating at times, but I believe you must be building a solid foundation and in years to come this will pay dividends for you.

Lyn Liechty, Auctioneer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:04 am 

Greg,
A Professional Auctioneer will always continue to learn, no matter how long they've been doing it. So, after three years, I think you have likely earned that title, from your previous training and experience, as well as your continued efforts.

I don't think this guy is around anymore... thank goodness. His profile indicates that the last time he signed on, was when he left his last post on May 27th. Of course, he could be lurking around and reading the posts, without signing in. However, should he return, I've already prepared my response to him. You might want to check out this post in this auctioneers forum and visit the link I provided in the post: Entertainment

Jim Ford
Professional Auctioneer & Auction Marketing for the 21st Century

281-479-7848

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:22 am 

Lyn
I don't know what kind of air you are breathing but it has to be bad if I am fresh...

Thanks for the encouragement.

James
I couldn't find your link, could you send it to me? Also thanks for the compliment.

It just peels my banana, when guys get on these boards, and spout off about things they know nothing about.

His "growing resume" is interesting, went the school in the Army? but was a petty Officer 3rd class in the Navy.

This guy makes MY Navy look bad, If he were one of my E-4's I'm sure I would have found plenty of work to keep him busy....

My sister rubs her PhD in my nose (oh God I only have an MBA) and she doesnt have any comm sense or street smarts either, you would think that with all the knowledge these "book smart" people have, they would calm down a little....

Dr. Dave
Advise from my father... "the truth has no memory" your a smart guy figure it out...

Regards,
G

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next